You may decide to renovate your home if you want to increase its value, add office space, or accommodate a growing family. Planning for a home renovation does not have to break the bank, but at the same time, it may be tricky to stick to your budget.
When planning to renovate your house, keep the following tips in mind:
- When it comes to renovations, your spending should be proportionate to the value of the room. For example, the kitchen is counted as 15 percent of the entire value of your home, so you should not spend more than this percentage of your budget on the kitchen during the renovation.
- Consider all the options you have for home renovation. If you are planning to borrow money so that you may fund your house renovation, you should explore all the loan options available that may help you get the money you need.
One option is refinancing. Depending on your interest rate, you can refinance your mortgage at a lower rate or with longer loan terms. This will lower the monthly payment and can help you save more for your renovations.
In case you have some equity, you may consider getting a cash out refinance. It is meant to refinance the existing loan to get an amount that is higher than what you normally owe. When you take this route, you will be able to pay the original mortgage and you will have money remaining. You may use a refinance calculator so that you can see how much you may get.
A limited budget should not necessarily limit you to renovate your house.
Ideas you can use to renovate your house for less:
- Replace the front door: adding a coat of paint may work wonders; however, if the door is old, you may want to buy a new one. This will make a great first impression. You may choose any design you want for your door. You can find traditional and modern designs, and you may also get a bespoke model.
- Hang a dramatic panel: making an unlined curtain panel may be easier than making traditional curtains. You can make them without pleats, which saves on how much fabric you need to use. If you want, you may go for more luxurious fabric options.
- Kitchen tiles: you can transform the kitchen with a new tile design and other worktop. You may use simple worktop such as laminate that is normally cheaper, and you can use fold tiles in order to make a striking display. This can give the illusion that you have a high-cost design.
- Get bespoke rugs: if you are looking for the perfect rug but don’t see the design you are looking for, you should not worry. Nowadays, some companies can help you in creating the carpet or rug that you like most. They can meet all your specifications for any budget you may have in mind.
- Get chic shutters: smart shutters are capable of making a statement wherever they are used. They will offer privacy and the best way for you to filter the light. You may combine them with a light voile drape, or you can use another window treatment with shutters.
- Upgrade the shower: if you have low water pressure in the shower in the bathroom, then using a combining boiler can make it work better. Installing a pump may increase pressure, while a thermostatic shower valve will maintain the temperature. This will improve the shower greatly.
- Install alcove shelving: you will never feel as if you have enough storage. This is why you have to take advantage of every available inch with bespoke alcove shelving. It makes sense to have shelves that are tailormade according to the content you want to put inside. You may also create a library system inside.
- Use a skylight: The architectural solution of a peg skylight is not expensive. It’s a good option that you may use in order to bring light into a gloomy room.
- Restore the original tiles on your floor: encaustic tiles may have ground-in grime, wax and old polish. This can detract from their original charm. You can also have some tiles that have gotten loose or broken. You can thoroughly clean the tiles to have the floor return back to its former glory.
- Overhaul the sash windows: if there are gaps that are found in a sash window, they may add up to the equivalent of at least a 6 sq. in. hole. You can get the help of an expert to repair the original sash, which may improve the performance of the window.
- Recover the old sofa: you can update the sofa bed using funky and new fabric that can transform a sentimental piece into something that looks new. Brand new upholstery can give your old sofa a new lease on life.
- Get smart-looking appliances: having quality appliances can add value to the kitchen. When you get a fridge and freezer in the American style, it will add a wow factor, and you can take it with you wherever you move.
- Get a stylish runner over your stairs: the staircase is one of the things that the visitors will see right away when they come into the house. You can update the staircase to make it look better. Instead of having shabby treads; you may turn to a stylish stair runner instead. It is a great option if you want to indulge in certain colors. There are some runners that have stripes, and these may make a real impact without being overwhelming.
- Use paneling: the modern space can be turned into a period property. Wall paneling will hide a number of flaws in the house, and it can add character to a featureless room. You may choose to add different dimensions, and it can also be used to rebalance some of the unused space in the room.
- Use panels in sleek glass: together with an eye-catching kitchen splash back and with high gloss glass, panels can be a sleek alternative to the tiles that you use in your bathroom. They can be easily cleaned, and there is no grout that may go grey. Colorful panels can add something more to the bathroom. The colored glass may look pricey, but if you shop around, you can find a good deal.
- Renovate the fireplace: when the fireplace is the focal point of the room, you can use a cast-iron model at a reasonable price.
- Restore the period cornicing: the original features will be a real plus point; however, sometimes it will take some care in order to restore a home back to its original splendor. Decorative cornicing may be lost under many decades of paint. When such paint is stripped away, it will bring out the period details.
- Carpet: when putting carpet in high traffic areas, you do not have to be confined to only neutral shades. You have to think about some colors that are on trend like cream colors. You may choose a wool blend for the flooring. It is soft, durable and striking at the same time.
- Add sleek lighting: you may add atmosphere to a clinical kitchen using warm and white seamless fluorescent lights. This is the latest type of lighting, and it gives the house an unbroken strip full of light.
If you have to do more comprehensive work to renovate your house, then you should consider the following tips:
- Dividing to conquer: in case you renovate the house on your own, it is better if you can focus more on the big picture than the smaller parts. You should divide the goals you have for each space and decide what you want to achieve for the entire house afterwards.
- Renovation budget: because to renovate the house will require money, you should budget for it. It is good to keep in mind that you have to be honest about how much you are willing or able to spend before you research for the things that you may need.
- Research: after deciding on the renovation budget, you should then go to the store to see the items that are available that can fit well into your budget. Visit different stores to see if there is any difference in the prices they charge. You may visit second-hand shops, thrift stores and online shopping sites to get an idea of how much you may spend on what you need.
- The doors help you make a first impression: when a person comes to your house, the first thing he will likely notice about your house is the door. If the door is still in good shape, it is a good idea to repaint it. The doors may also affect how the room looks.
- Paint will affect the lighting: the painting may affect the lighting, so in the renovation of your house, you will need to keep this in mind while picking paint colors. If you are keeping to a strict budget, stick to black and white colors since it is hard to go wrong with these options.
- Storage and kitchen: during the renovation of your house, you should try to maximize the storage while de-cluttering the space. When the kitchen is used at the maximum capacity, it may help in minimizing the storage problem.